The kids have been in a variety of daycare and preschool settings over the past few years and since, generally speaking, Phil and I do not hesitate to leave them with a sitter, I was a little surprised at my own reaction when it came time this year for Faith to start Kindergarten and Joel Pre-K. I guess the reality of a routine including them being out of my care for as much as 8 hours every day seemed a little more monumental. Somehow, along the way I had come to equate the kids being with me to their being safe, both physically and emotionally. And I had allowed fear to settle in at the prospect of them not being in "my care".
I guess God thought it appropriate to teach me a little lesson, to give me a little reminder. So he decided to give me a little nudge. Really, a little nudge by a car! You read it right...The kids and I were walking into the grocery store, Luke "safely" on my hip, Joel's hand "safely" in mine and Faith "safely" an arm's-length away and holding Joel's hand, when suddenly a car backed out of it's parking spot right into our little procession. I tried to quickly move out of the way to keep Luke from being smashed between myself and the car, yanking on Joel's arm as his feet came out from under him, stepping over Faith (who was now on the ground) to use my body to protect her (somehow this made sense in the moment!)...and screamed. Literally, screamed at the top of my lungs AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! The car stopped and those inside the grocery store came running to the widows of the front of the store gaping at the scene. It took me a few seconds to even realize what had happened. But I helped Faith up, checked every one over, assured the young man driving the car that we were ok, gently reminding him of the importance of looking before you back out, and proceeded into the grocery store through the stares and concerns of the crowd that had now gathered.
It wasn't until we were home and I was later thinking about the scenario that it dawned on me. I was right there. I had everyone within my reach. I was keeping everyone "safe" and still this happened. Really, it was only by God's grace that it turned out so well. And then I heard it....No, not audibly, but in my heart, God reminding me that in every situation it is only His provision and protection that allows any of us another day! It is not my power, ability, or control of things that keeps my children safe or healthy...it is Him.
Who did I think I was.... Beleiveing that my kid's were safe as long as they were with me....How silly of me, especially when they have a Father who is with them every moment, who will never leave them,...and who cares even more for them than I ever could.
So, sure, I miss em dearly while they are away. But I trust they are in good hands at their great school and I KNOW they are ultimately in THE MOST ABLE HANDS OF ALL! Thank you Jesus for watching over my children, when I am with them and even when I am not!
Faith's First Day of Kindergarten


Faith's teacher reassuring her (she was a little teary!)
Feeling a little better & off to class!
Joel's First Day of Pre-K
In front of school:
Playing in the classroom:

Luke is always finding new places to play!:
Psalm 5:11
But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
Psalm 91:1-2
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."
Psalm 121:1-8
I lift up my eyes to the hills- where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip-he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD watches over you-the LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all harm-he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
Psalm 112:7 He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD.
No comments:
Post a Comment